This week on the show we tackle the topic of receiving and the difficulty of receiving. Why is it so difficult to receive? Why is receiving so important? How can we become better at receiving?
- receiving gifts has always been difficult thing
- polite thing is to decline
- we always want to be the charitable ones
- much harder to receive then give, especially from God
It is better to give than receive – Scripture – Acts
- Acts 20:35 – In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”
Difficult to receive the complete love and grace of God.
Law of Reciprocation – book Influence
- Robert Cialdini
Purpose of the gift is to give
We feel we need to earn things. Like we need to be worthy of receiving.
Culture of generosity, instead of a culture of ledgers
- if we go to lunch and I buy you lunch, next time you will feel like you need to buy me lunch
Graciousness and generosity of God being very foreign to us
- No expectations of returns or indebtedness, its free
When we have difficulty receiving grace, we are denying God giving us gifts that we receive.
Saying “Thank you” in life and in prayer
Who are you comfortable receiving from?
Practice – saying yes to three people this week that offer to do things for you.
- From Matt – Influence – Robert Cialdini
- From Beard – Tom Smail – The Giving Gift – the Spirit is the gift, and the giver