This week we welcome to the show Hannah Terry! Hannah is a good friend of ours from our school days at Duke. She is a strong, hilarious, faithful servant leader who will wow you. Join us!
Quotes from Hannah
“Life is an adventure…with the HS and with people…food, prayer and hospitality.”
“This is weird, this has got to be God.”
“The pesky Holy Spirit”
“Being a pastor is so weird. It’s a bizarre profession”
“I did what you do, when you don’t know what to do – you bring brownies.
Well, I know how to eat, to sit on the couch and laugh.”
Stand up comedian – Brian Reagan
Pastor of a new community.
Pastor to members of Westbury UMC in Houston, Tx.
Transitional neighborhood. Refugees and immigrants, living among local residents.
Walls to overcome – language, socio economic status
Friend, Neighbor and pastor
The love of learning someone’s language.
What is bringing you joy in your life right now?
– watching friendships unfold
we belong to each other
– Isaiah 58 – the fast that God chooses
– the power of Tex-Mex
Mark 1:15 – the Kingdom of God is near
– where is God at work in our community?
Call to Incarnational ministry in the neighborhood
What does it mean to be Christian community?
What is intentional Christian community?
Dr. Rev. Elaine Heath on intentional community
Invitation from Westbury to Hannah – “Come be with us and help us discern what God is calling us to.” Beautiful.
I did what you do, when you don’t know what to do – you bring brownies.
Well, I know how to eat, to sit on the couch and laugh. – could this be a picture of the Kingdom?!
We sat there together and broke bread.
Person of peace
She introduces Hannah as pastor and friend.
Read Bonhoeffer’s Life Together
– moved into area to encounter God in particular place
– be accountable to spiritual disciplines
– successful = bears fruit of the spirit – evidence that God is doing something
– written rule of life that connects them
– 5 fold Rule of Life: prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness
– witness of God’s grace in my life
Food as an entry point to relationships/community
Laughter sounds the same in any language
Eugene Peterson – John 1:14 – the Word became flesh and blood and moved into the neighborhood.
We are not Christ moving into the neighborhood. We are moving in meeting Christ who is already there.
Mutuality of incarnational ministry that I really love.
Moved in March of 2013
Use prayer book for the time – Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals
By Shane Claiborne, Johnathan Wilson Hargrove, Enuma Okoro book
Table as entry point and the time it takes for practices to shape us
Acts 2 – living together, they had everything in common.
Academy for missional wisdom – 2 yr group
Video featuring Hannah’s community FAM
– Mile IQ from last week – do NOT recommend
– Bonhoeffer’s Life Together – “slender but thick”
Hannah – Tex-Mex –
– if you grew up Methodist or in other mainline denomination and want to see something new that is in the system, but still new – Longing for Spring – Elaine Heath – what could it look like in the Wesleyan way in the Methodist denomination to have these intentional communities
– Missional. Monastic. Mainline. By Elaine Heath
– game on phone – 1010!
– Elevate app – exercising your brain
Matt – Patrick Lencioni – The Advantage
– Praying the Psalms – Walter Brueggemann